One of the things I hate most in the world is getting sick – and boy have I had my fair share this year! Within three months I’ve had a severe sinus infection, bronchitis and pneumonia. All pretty much one after the other too.
For anyone who has gone through one or more of these, or even the flu or a cold, you know how much it takes it out of you, and that all you want is the doctor to hand you a script for some magic medicine that will take it all away! Unfortunately this doesn’t exist, but during this stint of being unwell I did discover a myriad of home remedies that really helped.
Today I’m going to share them with you, and I’d love it if you added your own in the comments below! Here it goes…
- Hot Water Bottles – One of the most affordable items you can have in your cupboard at home! They are so fantastic because they can go anywhere, and unlike heat bags, they retain their heat much longer. Just make sure you use them responsibly because they are filled with boiling hot water!
- Herbal Teas – My mum and Omi (grandma) are definitely responsible for this one. For the entirety of my life I have been shown that herbal teas can work wonders on helping to settle the typical ailments associated with colds/flu/sinus infections etc. Each tea has different properties to target different symptoms, and in drinking them you’re also keeping up your water intake, as well as having soothing hot liquid running down your throat. Here is a great website I’ve found which outlines the top 10 herbal teas to have for your health.
- Salt lamps / Candle holders – Salt lamps have been around for such a long time, but now they are becoming more affordable and available. Although mine was only a tea light holder, they are said to improve air quality, general mood and sleep if used. There are still many studies conducted on these today (and I’m definitely not a doctor), however for me I really felt like it helped.
- Raw Honey – You can’t go past raw honey to help relieve cold and flu symptoms. Honey has been used for years due to its healing properties, so make sure you grab some today! Raw Manuka honey is the best, but raw honey in general is still great!
- Steaming Pots – For ANY sinus issues I highly recommend grabbing a pot of boiling water, adding honey or lemon or ginger (or all of them), and inhaling the steam from the golden liquor that is created. Your nose will run but it will really help to loosen up any mucus.
*Please note: Mocha & Chai are by no means medical professionals in any field, so all of the above information is just personal preference. We highly recommend seeing your healthcare professional for any health related issues.